Saturday, October 8, 2011

It Was a Soup Kind of Day

It was a chilly (relatively speaking) Florida morning....and I celebrated it with some good Chicken and Black Beacn soup (recipe courtesy of my dad!)!  Now granted, by the time we ate it, it was 80 degrees outside, but it's ok...it was still yummy and hit the spot!

Chicken & Black Bean Soup
 
 1.  Boil 2 chicken breasts. (You need 1 1/2 cups of chicken, so 
I used the extra and made some chicken salad!

 2.  Chop 1 carrot, 1 onion, and 1/2 red pepper

 3.  Drain and rinse 2 cans of black beans.

 4.  Saute the onions, carrots, and pepper in oil for about 5 min.

 5.  Add a little chili powder and cumin.

6.  Add the beans, a 16 oz jar of salsa, and 
3 cups of chicken broth.
**Let simmer covered for 20 minutes**
 7.  Stir in the chicken and let simmer another 5 minutes.
(I let it simmer for about 30 minutes to let the 
chicken take in some of the flavor)

 8.  Enjoy!  
We added some Mexican cheese, sour cream, hot sauce.
Perfect thing on a chilly day!  :)

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you posted this. I am going to have to slip that one in one night!

    ReplyDelete